If your job involves manual labor such as lifting and carrying heavy objects, make sure that you maintain correct posture while doing so. Incorrect lifting is one of the most common causes of back pain and injury in the workplace, so take your time to ensure you're doing it safely.
- Your standing position should be stable before attempting to lift the object, so make sure your feet are apart, about shoulder width, with one foot slightly further in front of the other to help you balance.
- Get a good grip on the object, hugging it in tight to your body if possible.
- As if you are squatting, bend from your knees and hips while keeping your back as straight as possible when picking up the object.
- Keep the back straight as you stand up and try not to make any sudden jerking or twisting movements.
- Turn by moving your feet rather than twisting from the spine.
- Bend from the knees again when putting the object down to avoid putting too much strain on your back.