Drinking a lot of water while on a road trip may immediately seem like a bad idea. Many people believe this to be true because it means you are going to have to stop more frequently, and it will add to the total time of your trip. However, the benefits of drinking plenty of water greatly outweigh the inconvenience of more frequent stops. Here are some of the benefits to drinking more water on your road trip:
- Drinking water helps flush toxins from your body. If you only drink sugary drinks these toxins remain in your body and can contribute to swelling and bloating.
- Drinking water also promotes healthy blood circulation, which can minimize feelings of pain caused by injuries, chronic pain, and the general aches and pains you may be feeling from being in the car.
- Drinking sugary drinks also increases your calorie intake and can leave you feeling bloated and uncomfortable while you drive.
- Sugary drinks also cause spikes in your blood sugars, which can give you feelings of alertness but will also leave you feeling fatigued when the sugar wears off.
- Caffeinated drinks will also cause a short burst of energy followed by fatigue as the caffeine wears off.
- Having to stop to use the restroom frequently will also allow you more opportunities to stretch your muscles.